The mission of the City of Muskogee Foundation is to make a real difference in Muskogee. An important component to ensuring the success of this mission is having strong leadership and governance from the Board of Directors. The City of Muskogee Foundation’s bylaws provide the guidelines and provisions for which those Directors must apply for membership, are nominated and/or elected.
- The number of directors that will constitute the entire Board of Directors of the Foundation shall be no less than three or more than 15. The number of Director positions vacant and available to be filled with new nominees will vary in any given year.
- The Mayor and City Manager of Muskogee are ex-officio voting members of the Foundation Board of Directors.
- The City Council designates two members of the Council to serve during their terms in office as voting members of the Foundation Board of Directors.
- All Foundation Directors are elected to six-year terms except the Mayor and City Manager of Muskogee and the two City Councilors. Director terms begin in August at the Foundation’s Annual Board Meeting.
- Foundation Board meetings are currently held six times per year in the months of March, April, June, August, October, and December; the meetings are held on the fourth Monday of the month at 3:30 p.m. The location of each meeting is different each month.
- The City of Muskogee is subject to and adheres to the Oklahoma Open Meetings Open Records Act.
Board Member Job Description:
- Understand and promote the organization’s mission.
- Be familiar with the organization’s grantees and operations.
- Be a working member of at least one committee (monthly meetings; 2nd Monday of each mo.).
- Help educate the community about the Foundation and its grantees.
- Make every effort to attend all board meetings.
- Review materials prior to and engage in discussion at board meetings.
- All applications must be received at the City of Muskogee Foundation office by 5:00 p.m., April 1 (of each year). No late applications will be considered.
- Incomplete or unsigned applications will not be considered.
- Applicants may attach a resume or biography to the application.
Nominations of new board members must be approved by the Foundation Board of Directors and City Council. Applicants will be notified of the status of the Application of Interest prior to the August Foundation Board of Directors meeting held on the fourth Monday of that month. Please do not contact Foundation staff or Directors seeking information prior to that date. All applications are subject to the Open Meetings Open Records Act. This includes all personal information submitted on the form within. All names of applicants, whether officially nominated for a Board of Director’s position or not, will be presented to Muskogee City Council and, therefore, subject to all forms of media publicity.